Links 22/05/2008: 14 Million Downloads This Year for Famelix (GNU/Linux); Another Linux-Based Media Centre
- Famelix and the dangers of combating Windows
As with any GNU/Linux distribution, exact figures for use are hard to come by for Famelix. However, other users of the distribution include 62 military units, and schools and digital inclusion centers throughout South America. On its home site, the distribution has had more than 22 million downloads — at least 14 million of them in the last 12 months, thanks mainly to the first releases to support German, English, and Italian in addition to the original Spanish and Portugese. By any standard, the distribution seems a success.
- Home media system runs open source Linux
A company called Fiire is shipping a home automation, media control, and security system based on the open source LinuxMCE distro. Built around a dual-core AMD Athlon X2-based box called the Fiire Engine, the Fiire system also includes FiireStation thin clients and a Z-Wave-based FiireChief controller.
- Buntu Family Theater
- Comparing Linux USB flash disk distros
- CeBIT – Red Hat champions open source market education
- New Enhancements for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Free software helps Indian techies in many projects
Abhas Abhinav’s DeepRoot Linux team here has developed deepOfix (deeproot.in/deepofix), which “gives many proprietary mail servers a run for their money”, commented Linux For You.
- Medsphere Announces New Client/Server, Move to AGPL
- KDE 4.1 Beta1: OpenStreetMap Support in KDE via Marble
- Enterprises grow more savvy over open source
- Get Herds of Top OSS Apps in One Free Download–Mac & Windows
- Open Source Mobile: Why Funambol is launching a New Forge
- Customers versus users: a distinction
- Mozilla: Final Firefox 3 expected in June
- Mozilla targets Firefox 3.1 release for later this year
- Compro Technology accused of GPL violation
- First Understand the GPL! (Then Comply!)
- Living computers best left Open Source, researcher says
- Microsoft’s new tack: Bribery as a business model
- Windows XP Continues to Win Over Vista
- Verheugen Commission wants to set the minds of children
Responsible lobbyism respects our democratic culture. Unfettered technocratic thinking neglects the basic principles of European liberalism. The small business act as an example for loss of reality.
- Privacy, secrecy, innovation and open source
- Oz carrier Primus blitzed by DDoS attack