key platform challenges from Java and NC ..

From: Jim Allchin (Exchange)
Sent: Monday, January 06, 1997 1:43 PM
To: Rob Short; Moshe Dunie; Mark Lucovsky; Lou Perazzo; Frank Artale; Steve Madigan; Deborah Black
Subject: FW: overview slides for Billg/NC & Java session with 14+s on Monday

fyi,

From: Paul Mantz
Sent: Sunday, January 5, 1997 11:09 AM
To: Bill Gates; Jim Allchin (Exchange); Ben Silva; Brad Silverberg
Cc: Aaron Contorer

..

Key Platform Challenges

* NC & Java are platform challenges;

- possible emergence of a set of API's and underlying system software that lead to lesser or no role for Windows.

- puts our other (server & apps) businesses at a disadvantage

Scenario: Emergence of a new API

* Sun AWT provides base cross-platform API
* Navigator/NetOne provides;

- additional API's
- a volume platform for ISVs & Corps to target, since runtime gets shipped with Navigator

* NC's

- could provides additional volume

- have no MS system software involved

Response Summary

* Increase IE share
	- integrate with Windows

* Lower TCO:

	- "Zero Admin Windows"
	- Office improvements

* Take HTML & Java Leadership

	- Extend HTML
	- Offer best Java runtime tools

* enough x-platform to be competitive
* integrate Java RT & Windows:
	- encourage access to unique Windows functions
	- performance
* great Java RAD tools

..

* Offer "standard" Java runtime to be competitive,
	- basically redistribute whatever Sun gives us in near term.

* Expose as much of Windows as we can to Java developers via extensions to AWT

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/122106/PLEX0_5852.pdf