Re: The Super-Ultra-Mega Build Idea

> If the packaging guidelines had said that debian.rules
> should allow invocation-time redefinition of these vaviables...

This was accidentaly removed from the guidelines, it appears.
It was supposed to be this way initially.

> Regarding stripping executables, I've seen debian.rules files
> which use "install -s" to do that -- which is conceptually pretty
> far removed from "LDFLAGS="...".

It's trivially easy to switch that on if ( $(findstr -s,$(LDFLAGS)) ) .

> Also, I've seen debian.rules files and upstream package package Makefiles
> with pretty complicated CFLAGS defs -- not something I'd like to type
> in from an invocation command line.

Not all of that stuff should be part of CFLAGS. All of the warning flags,
etc., should be elsewhere. CFLAGS should have optimization, debugging,
and -no-frame-pointer.

> Also, I've seen packages which use different compiler flags to build
> different parts of the package.

This is a problem. Ncurses is one of these.

> Perhaps instead of CFLAGS="...", it'd be better to mandate support of
> "[ ARCH=archname ]", defaulting to i386 if absent

Yes, perhaps.

> and failing the build if
> archname is specified as a value not explicitly supported in debian.rules.

No, why fail the build? That would make adding new architectures very
difficult. Every $CFLAGS can just include "-m$(ARCHITECTURE), and then
new architectures are automaticaly supported.

> Perhaps instead of "LDFLAGS", it'd be better to have "[ STRIP={ YES | NO } ]",

II don't care at all about the STRIP=YES|NO stuff, but the architecture
stuff is important.

> I'd suggest restating the mandate.  Whoever takes this on will be
> re-examining the packaging guidelines and recommending changes to
> support build-time specification of target architecture,
> stripped/unstripped executables,
> (and possibly other matters?).

Let's reduce the scope of this to be only architecture. The unstripped
executables are a bad idea.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Pixar Animation Studios: Reality is not our business.
Pixar's "Toy Story", at greater than $184,200,000 in domestic box office