Re: Recent dselect experience

> WRT dselect:
>
> My primary objection to dselect's behaviors center around it's insistance
> that, barring escessive force, it should try and install every file that
> it can find with a .deb extension. I can deselect everything first and
> things seem to go more the way I expect.

Here are my list of suggestions to improve dselect, in no particular
order.

1. Make the info window smaller and optionally remove it completely.
I prefer to see the status of more packages at the same time.

2. Allow TAB and shift-TAB to toggle between the status and info
windows.  That is more natural to me than using separate directional
keys to scroll the info window.

3. Get rid of the "All xyzzy packages in section plugh" lines.  I know
what they are for, but I still find them confusing and distracting.
In their place, put a single, non-functional, header line per major
sorting criterion, eg. Required/Important/Optional or base/admin/devel.

4. Make the default sorting order be by section instead of by
priority.  Looking at things by section is much more natural to me.

> there are several things that it doesn't do. Primarily, my experience is
> that dselect doesn't pay any attention to the state of the system before
> it tries anything. In cases where I installed the base packages by hand,

Along these lines:

5. Ignore any Recommends and Suggests lines for packages that are
already installed.  One thing I find especially infuriating is getting
dropped into the conflict resolution screen because of packages that
I've specifically deselected previously.

David