Why not to use CVS

One of the main advantages of Debian, and a major reason for its success,
has been the decentralized maintainance of packages. A central CVS archive
is a good thing to have for a single package that many people are working
on. It's a bad thing to have for every package. The reasons are:

	1. It is entirely unnecessary for the (desirable) goal of
	   building the entire system automaticaly from source. That can be
	   accomplished with source packages and a package-order list.
	   We are currently working on this for the various ports, and
	   will continue to do so.

	2. It changes the basic system philosophy from decentralized to
	   centralized. This gives up one of the main differences between Debian
	   and *BSD, and a major reason for Debian's success.

	3. Do you really want someone other than the maintainer checking changes
	   into a pakcage? It becomes too easy for a rogue maintainer to slip
	   something into a package that doesn't belong there. Our current system
	   in which patches are sent to _one_person_ for inclusion in a package
	   (and hopefully are examined before they are applied) is more secure.

	4. Access to master.debian.org is extremely difficult for many people who
	   don't happen to be in North America. Maintaining a central CVS archive
	   in any one location has the same disadvantage.

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.