Re: Not switching to RPM, don't worry!

> Maybe both sides (Redhat and Debian) should think about a new
> packaging system. They could compare the advantages and
> disadvantages from both systems and create the ultimate packaging
> system. The new packaging system could use much of the code from
> dpkg and rpm. Of course the new packaging system should have a new
> name then. This could have a positiv effect on other (all?)
> distributions as well. We would have a common linux package format
> with the advantages from both dpkg and rpm.

There is a PROPOSED STANDARD of the IEEE for software packages.  To my
knowledge it is already implemented in Unifix-Linux (Those who worked
on the ANSI/POSIX certification of Linux).

Maybe we should have a look at it?  The releveant standard documents are
(formerly know as POSIX.7):

	P1387.1		A framework for system administration
	P1387.2		Software management
	P1387.3		User management
	P1387.4		Printer management

Maybe one could develop dpkg to follow the proposal?  I don't know, but
it would do us no good to ignore such a thing as an evolving standard.

Dominik Kubla