Re: Draft 3 of the homepage is up for evaluation.

I think the newest Debian WWW pages are a real step forward in both
visual appeal and content.

Suggestion 1 re: easier navigation:  At the top or bottom of each page,
one could insert some HTML code that could, in 1 or 2 lines, lead a
user to any of the major pages at the Debian site.  For example
(putting titles in alphabetical order):
<P>
<A HREF="about.html">About the Project</A> //
<A HREF="docs.html">Documentation</A> //
<A HREF="ftplist.html">Getting Debian GNU/Linux</A> //
<A HREF="site-index.html">Index to this Site</A> //
<A HREF="news.html">News</A> //
<A HREF="Packages/">Packages Available</A> //
<A HREF="search.html">Search this Site</A> //
<A HREF="support.html">Support</A> //
</P>

"Getting" could be a lead-in page that links to pages about FTP access
and CD-ROMs.  (The explanation in the lead-in page could also refer
to other means of getting Debian/Linux, such as NFS or even floppy disk.)

"About the Project" could be a lead-in page that links to pages which
include the "People".

Suggestion 2, re: relationship between the WWW site and the FAQ:
I believe the FAQ is just too big, and contains many items that should
be in other documentation.  (As an author, I can say that.)
It looks like the proejct is on its way to developing that additional
documentation.  Good.  What we need to do is coordinate these
documents so that they link seamlessly together and lack redundancy.
That means
(a) we need an outline; the thought of developing an outline to a set of
complex documents by email seems forboding, but we probably don't have
another choice.
(b) we need to use a common formatting language; Sven and I had been
using SGML, since that allows instant re-formatting to text, PS, latex,
and HTML.

Anyway, my major point is that I think we need to coordinate the
FAQ, policy, programmer's, and WWW docs, and I for one am willing to
participate in that organization, and would like to hear reactions.
Otherwise, since I have vacation time this week, I'll just proceed
to extend the FAQ even further (ugh).

Susan Kleinmann