Re: Open letter to Martin Schulze

srivasta@datasync.com (Manoj Srivastava)  wrote on 26.03.97 in <87k9muu06n.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>:

> 	I really liked Debian, say an year or 6 months ago, when there
>  were technical discussions, leading to a consensus, or the boss
>  stepped in (usually with ``guys, you have pushed this around for
>  days, and repeating yourselves, I use my fiat power to settle this'')

Or even - let's not forget it - the "We seem not to be coming to a
consensus here. Boss, can we please have a fiat decision?" cases.

>  I liked being involved, and the dictatorship was _very_
>  benevolent. And we all seemed to respect each other more, technical
>  arguments did not degenerate into personal attacks.

Very much me too here.

> 	But it was putting a strain on the dictator.  That was the
>  reason the board was proposed: and reverting to the older system
>  would not lower the pressure on our beloved dictator (I don't know --
>  maybe the new mlti-tiered dictatorship system [delegated
>  dictatorship!] would help).

I believe it would help, in two ways: for one, the strain is spread to
more people; for another, the sub-dictators that have topical jobs will be
nearer to the actual problems, and so the developers will more likely
percieve them as competent.

It's not quite so new, either. ISTR that Ian Jackson - before real life
stole his time - had one of these jobs wrt dpkg and policy design. It
worked quite well, I believe.

As to the 200 maintainer problem - the people involved in flame wars are
only a tiny part of those 200. It's the same names over and over again.

I'm not saying that everyone that posts often is doing something wrong,
but unless a lot happens behind the scenes in private mail, I really don't
think it's the 200 people that is the problem. It's no more than a dozen,
probably even less. (I sure hope I'm not one of the problem makers!)

MfG Kai