Re: master down

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Mike said the upgrade trashed "master", and that's why it is down. I know
> it was at 1.1, and guess he was going for 1.3 . I don't know how a system
> gets trashed by the upgrade, unless you do it by not replacing dpkg first.
> We have one other report of this that wasn't clear on the cause.

I replaced dpkg et all by hand just as the has been discussed here, as is
in the online docs and as I did it with several other machines too.....

It looks like dpkg managed to install just the right mixture of new libs
together with old libs that all hell broke loose.

What you saw when you logged in was just the beginning.

I had to put back in the backup that I had made just a few hours before.

The next time I will make a new install from scratch, not an upgrade.
However this will require those people that installed binaries
outside /home/Debian and /home/Archives to reinstall them.

During the restauration I found several weak spots in the boot disks:

1. You can't configure md, and the md on the boot kernel is limited to 4
   arrays.
2. The configuration scripts don't always find swap partitions
3. There seems to be a limit on the number of partitions that are beeing
   displayd for mounting. I had to mount the first couple of partitions by
   hand.

Mike