Re: "Social Contract" [anti-trust]

alegre@saturn.superlink.net (Fernando) writes:

> *) We have to ask ourselves seriously whether we are in fact just working
> for free for CD resellers.

yes, because they provide us with medium to reach more people. Not
everyone is well connected to the internet. Here in germany it's
*very* expensive to get IP-packages. Some Providers get more than six
DM (over 9 Dollars) for each MB IP traffic. So insteed of download
one/two MB it's cheaper to buy a CD-ROM. That's why we work for CD
resellers. As Bruce mentioned: if one CD reseller is to expensive
another one can step forward and make the same product cheaper. So
the market will tell the first CD reseller that he's wrong (too
expensive).

If you don't want to work for a reseller, why do you want to work for
a Internet Provider as a Content Provider? Should we really exclude
every not cost free medium??

> *) I agree it might be paranoid. But no more than insisting that authors
> must produce "uncontaminated" free software. Maybe we are asking too much
> to original authors, or maybe just too little to value-adding ones.

As I've readed the social contract last published by Bruce I get a
very strong positive feeling about free software. It expresses the
real freedom. Don't let us destroy this feeling by adding unnecessary
restrictions! Free software has it's own dynamic. Debian GNU/Linux can
run on any commercial machines without getting the management in
touch. So it's possible to integrate the system in existing networks
and (hopefully) replace proprietary systems.

> I agree with Bruce that it might not matter for the existence of free software.
> It might matter for the existence of Debian, though. Free software can not
> be bought out so easily, but a group of packagers who establish themselves
> as the Knights of the Free Software in the Public Interest... :-) is a
> fragile entity. Do you think that it is an important one?

But the totally freedom is a strong band which is difficult to
destroy. So don't protect someone to earn some money. You can do the
same! And if you're better you can earn more money ...

So please let us not cripple the spirit of our social contract. In
the last form it's *very* impressive. If we show this little document to
software authors I think that many will change there license to GPL or
something the like.

Propagate the free software virus ;-)
                                    Christian

--