Lotus describes how MS developers get preferential access ..

To: John Manopoli
cc: Alex Morrow
From: Noah Mendelsohn
Date: 02/24/95 09:28:10 AM
Subject: Microsoft OCX Support: Is the Playing Field Level?

Microsoft has publicly committed, on numerous occasions, to ensuring a fair separation between the application and the system groups at Microsoft. Specifically, they have promised to provide equivalent operating system API support and documentation to application developers working inside and outside Microsoft. I am concerned that these commitments are not being met in the case of OCX, and that Lotus and other ISVs are being put at an unfair competitive disadvantage.

..

Those relationship are based on the assumption, which I believe to be correct, that Microsoft and Lotus have a shared interest in seeing the features of Microsoft operating systems exploited correctly and consistently in Lotus' products.

Recently, a number of concerns have arisen regarding Microsoft's willingness and ability to extend such support to the new OEEL Controls technology. For the reasons listed below, I believe that Microsoft application developers have been given earlier and more detailed access to OCX specifications that we have had here at Lotus. These are serious concerns, and I hope that we can address them with Microsoft promptly.

Licensed Microsoft Tools Code is the Only Available Sample for OCX Server implementation

..

Inadequate documentation of OCX Container API

..

The OLE Forms Feature of the Cairo OS is being developed by the Microsoft Office Application Group.

OLE Forms are a counterpart to OLE controls and a cornerstone of the Cairo user interface architecture. We were recently informed by a Microsoft employee that responsibility for development of this operating system feature has been transfered to the Microsoft Office applications group. The implications of this are particularly disturbing:

- Developers of Microsoft office products have early access to information on this key operating system technology.

- Office developers have the oppurtunity to optimize OLE Forms to meet their own needs, at the expense of supporting competitive applications.

- An inappropriate and potentially tie between Microsoft's appolications and operating system products is created.

..

Microsoft "Access" application developed in direct consultation with OCX developers

..

Developers of key OS features transferring to and from job assignments in Microsoft applications groups

Key developers of technologies relating to OLE 2.0 and OCX have transfered back and forth between Microsoft application and operating system groups over the past several years. Clearly such employees are in a position to bring specific technical information and product planning perspectives with them as they transfer. Competitors have no comparable access to the development process.

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011207/PX_2246.pdf