contorer defines embrace and extend ..

Erik Stevenson (LCA)

From: Aaron Contorer
Sent: Friday, Febuary 21, 1997 12:47 PM
To: Bill Gates
Subject: Memo material

Owning this platform is *the* Microsoft asset. It is the difference between growing to twice our current size in the future, or shrinking to much less than the role we enjoy today.

There are three possible ways to address the threat of the Java platform.

..

For over half a year I have been upset that some people at Microsoft are apparently working hard on plan 2 to destroy the value of the Windows API.

 ..

 Switching Costs

In economics there is a well-understood conceot called switching costs .. There is a name for this: it is called Embrace and Extend.

..

It is this switching cost that has given customers the patience to stick with Windows through all our mistakes, our buggy drivers, our high TCO, our lack of a sexy vision at times, and many other difficulties.

People have tried to clone Windows, but it is just too hard to do well. Customers constantly evaluate other desktop platforms, but it would be so much work to move that the hope we just improve Windows rather then force them to move.

..

it is critical to us that application writers choose to take advantage of features that are (A) part of Windows, and (B) extremely hard to clone.

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_5906.pdf