why Amstrad dropped DR-DOS ..

Friday, Septembeer 22, 1989
Mr. Leonard Liu
President
Acer Incorporated

I'm sure Alan Sugar would not mind me tellling you about his decision for Amstrad. He decided to stay with MS-DOS (they use the disk version). In 1985 when he first came out with his low end 512k machines, he shipped both DRI's then current product and MS-DOS: his market research showed that virtually all users chose to use the Microsoft product, rathe then risk the compatibility questions thet DRI's operating system products raise. His more recent machines dropped the
DRI products entirely .. It only takes a couple of reports about non-compatibility to give the kiss of death to a PC: we've seen that on the hardware side as well as in the operating system area.

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011207/PX_9923.pdf