Warren Buffet on the MS toll bridge..

From: Warren Buffet [warreneb@ix-netcom.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 21 1997 3:13 PM
To: Jeff Raikes
Subject: Re: Go Huskers!

hi, jeff;

i have so few friends who use e-mail that I only look for it once a week or so (and usually find nothing) so excuse the slowness in responding. I am also reasonably fast at typing but poor in the accuracy department and fine it easier just to plow ahead rather than correct, knowing i am always writing to those who will find a little deciphering an interesting but easy challenge.

I am afraid you have the Husker-Husky situation correctly handicapped. We need a miracle and it’s unlikely to happen in a stadium in which Frost will not be able to hear a word he shouts. I hope Osborne has had him working on hand signals all summer.

Your analysis of Microsoft, why i should invest in it, and why I dont could not be more on the money. In effect the company has a royalty on a communication stream that can do nothing but grow. It’s as if you were getting paid for every gallon of water starting in a small stream but with added amounts received as tributaries turned the stream into an Amazon. The toughest question is how hard to push prices and I wrote a note to Bill on that after our December meeting last year. Bell should have anticipated Bill and let someone else put in the phone infrastructure while he collected by the minute and distance (and even importance of the call if he could have figured a wait to monitor it) in perpetuity.

Coke is now getting a royalty on swallows; probably 7.2 billion a day if these average gulp is one ounce. I feel 100% sure (perhaps mistakenly) that I know the odds of this continuing-again 100% as long as cola doesnt cause cancer. Bill has an even better royalty-one which I would never bet against but i dont feel i am capable of assessing probabilities about, except to the extent that with a gun to my head and forced to make a guess, i would go with it rather than against. But to calibratre whether my certainty is 80% or 55%, say, for a 20-year run would be folly, if I had to make such decisions, i would do my best but I prefer to structure investing as a no-called-strikes game and just wait for the fat one/

I watched Ted Williams on cable the other day and he referred to a book called the science of hitting which i then ran down. It has a drawing of the batters box in it that he had referred to on the show with lots of little squares in it, all parts of the strike zone. In his favorite spot, the box showed .400 reflecting what he felt he would hit if he only swung at pitches in that area. Low and outsided, but still in the strike zone, he got down to .260. Of course, if he had two strikes on him, he was going to swing at that .260 pitch but otherwise he waited for one in the "happy zone" as he put it. I think the same approach makes sense in investing. Your happy zone, because of the business experience you have had, what you see every day, your natural talents, etc. is going to be different than mine. I am sure, moreover that you can hit balls better in my happy zone than I can in yours just because they are fatter pitches in general.

Lets talk more about this when we get together. Aas a beginner I
always feel that when i send off any e-mail, it is going to vanish into the
ether and i would hate to have that happen with everything I know.

GO HUSKERS--warren husky m: Jeff Raikes <jeffr@MICROSOFT.com>