Re: [Fwd: is kde enough free?]

> You can read implicitly into the DFSG provisions, the sentence "This applies
> to the entire program, not just 99% of it". You do not have to state such
> things, like "This means YOU" they are implicit.

i never said something different. i checked whol kde, not only parts
(in fact, i read every single file to determine status).

> I could write an entirely free program that was a derivative work of
> something else that was not free, and it would still not be free as
> long as it was a derivative work of a non-free program.

i agree with you. but if you remove all non-free code, your program can
be free. for example kde has not code from qt.

> All uses of a library are derivative works of that library. If this
> was not the case there would be no need for the LGPL.

i disagree. ddd can use motif and lesstif. so, it's derived work from
motiv ? that sounds silly.

ddd is free software. you can either use motiv as base, or use a free
replacement: lesstiff.
kde is free software. you can either use qt as base, or write your own
free replacement.

we have contrib, beacuse this situation exists :
free software with a non-free base.

quote from the policy manual :
"Every package in "contrib" must comply with the DFSG."
and
"free packages which require "contrib", "non-free", or "non-US" packages"

so you say, if a program requires non-free software, it is not DFSG
compilant ? that is not true, there is no single line in DFSG to proof
this.

if it were like you said : we had no contrib directory.

andreas