Re: [Fwd: is kde enough free?]

From: Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de>
> i disagree. ddd can use motif and lesstif. so, it's derived work from
> motiv ? that sounds silly.

DDD is GPL-ed, is it not? The applicable language from the GPL is here:

>From the GPL:
> However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
> include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
> form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
> operating system on which the executable runs, _unless_that_component_
> _itself_accompanies_the_executable_.
[emphasis is mine]

That means that you can distribute DDD even though it uses a non-free
component (Motif), but you can not distribute DDD and Motif together.
This exception was written in to the GPL to permit Emacs and GCC to be
distributed for Suns, but not _by_ Sun. It means that Debian can
distribute KDE, or Qt, but _not_both_ under the terms of the GPL.

> ddd is free software. you can either use motiv as base, or use a free
> replacement: lesstiff.
> kde is free software. you can either use qt as base, or write your own
> free replacement.

I will be happy to accept that when the replacement for Qt exists and the
KDE people take the effort to make it work with the replacement. Lesstif
is not a theoretical object!

Regarding your point about contrib. We distribute KDE in contrib but not
Qt. Everything in contrib is not free in its run-able state, that's why
it is in contrib.

	Bruce
--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html